Thursday, January 27, 2005

Plug-O-Rama

I've been meaning to throw a few plugs out for a while now but I just haven't had the time. Procrastinating is a lot more work than you would think. Anyway, here's some of the stuff I've been wasting time with/looking forward to:

Trailers:

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
: 42

Fantastic Four: I so want this movie to be good but alas. I'm going to see it anyway.

The Corpse Bride: Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Danny Elfman. 'Nuff said.

The Ring 2: Naomi Watts, *drool*

Sin City: This movie looks incredible. Frank Miller is god. And he helped direct it.

Cursed: Think 'Scream' meets 'The Howling'. With Christina Ricci too.

Webcomics:

Sinfest: Think if Calvin grew up and became a horny, perverted teenager. That's the main gist. The comic is actually fairly heavy, taking on a lot of theology that I often resonate with. It's funny, incredibly well drawn, thought provoking, and, at times, touching.

Check out all the archives too. Tatsuya Ishida can literally imitate any style -- look for some of the back strips that feature multiple styles. It doesn't matter what they are; Peanuts, Bloom County, Calvin and Hobbes, Cathy. It's like they were drawn by their creators. Amazing.

Zebra Girl: OK, this is a serial so if you want the whole story you have to start from the beginning. Basically, it features a young woman who was accidentally turned into a demon and now is trying to cope in today's modern world (everyone thinks she's just a weird goth chick) and find someway to get back to normal. Joe England's art gets better and better as the strip progresses and this latest storyline just has some beautiful black and white panels.

I've linked Sinfest over at the sidebar and I'll be adding Zebra Girl very soon. Keenspot has dozens of strips you've probably never heard of -- I still haven't gone through them all. Check 'em out!

Lastly a small plug for Newmoanyeah, the pop-culture site run by Stephen Lin, a Boston friend of mine. The 2004 staff picks are up (including my own) -- it's one of the more fun things I get to write and read. That's all for now, enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home