Saturday, January 29, 2005

Roster Schmoster

It's twenty five miles from home
Girl, my feet are hurting mighty bad
Now I've been walking for three days and two lonely nights
You know that I'm mighty mad .
But I got a woman waiting for me
That's gonna make this trip worthwhile
You see she's got the kind of lovin' and a kissing
A make a man go stone wild -- Edwin Starr

We're almost across the finish line! Only three weeks until pitchers and catchers. Now that the offseason is pretty much over, how about some twenty five man roster predictions? Granted it's really only the bench and bullpen but it's fun to predict the lineup too. Here's mine:

Lineup:

Jose Reyes (S)
Kaz Matsui (S)
Carlos Beltran (S)
Mike Piazza (R)
Cliff Floyd (L)
David Wright (R)
Mike Cameron (R)
Minky (L)


Rotation:

Pedro Martinez
Tom Glavine
Kris Benson
Victor Zambrano
Steve Trachsel


Bullpen:

Braden Looper (CL)
Mike DeJean (R)
Orber Moreno (R)
Heath Bell (R)
Blake McGinely (L)
Dae Sung Koo (L)

I predict TRF is going to implode in spring training and be released outright. And if he isn't, well, I hear Tonya Harding is looking for work...

Bench:

Jason Phillips (C)
Miguel Cairo (MI)
Eric Valent (OF)
Victor Diaz (OF)
Andres Galarraga (1B)
Jeff Keppinger (MI)


Again kind of optimistic, but I have a funny feeling that Miguel Cairo spells the beginning of the end for Super Joe. And I can't see Ron Calloway making the team over Victor Diaz and Eric Valent. I'd rather see Danny Garcia than Jeff Keppinger but I have a sneaking suspicion that he's gone too since many in the organization don't seem to like his attitude. Can't win them all, I guess.

Thoughts? Questions? Queries? Bueller? Bueller?

2 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At what point do Piazza and Wright trade places in the batting order?

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

On the bullpen:
I'm kinda torn on the six/seven man bullpen. On one hand, I like having the versaility on the bench, especially if Galarraga is taking up a roster spot (and I think he probably will be).

On the other hand, we really do need all the arms we can get. It will be interesting to see how Randoph works it.

On Keppinger:
He hacks at everything -- Garcia is much more patient, has a better OBP, and I actually like his punk-ass attitude.

On Piazza/Wright:
Next year, when he retires. I really think Wright should bat sixth this year. I know he's going to be great but there will be much more scrutiny on him if he's batting third or fifth. Let's give him a year out of the spotlight (it's going to be on Beltran, Pedro, and Piazza's farewell this year) and let him blossom without pressure into the team leader he's going to become.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home