Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A Disaster Of Unmitigated Proportions

Yesterday, over at Always Amazin', I wrote the following in regards to Omar Minaya meeting with Al Leiter:

This is going to be an interesting test of Minaya's abilities. My gut feeling is that the contract offered to Leiter is pretty much for sentimental reasons; the question is whether or not Minaya can admit that honestly to Al without burning any bridges. He should thank him for all of his loyalty and dedication to the team but admit that 1) the Mets are probably not going to condend next year 2) they'd rather sign a younger pitcher (i.e. Carl Pavano, Matt Clement, Odalis Perez) to a long term contract rather than just sign him for a year. If Minaya caves though, it could be a disaster of unmitigated proportions.

While I do go on to justify my statement somewhat, a short while later this little e-mail shows up in my inbox from Matt:

Were I a Mets fan, I wouldn't want them to re-sign Al Leiter either, but "a disaster of unmitigated proportions"? Offering a one-year deal for a player in a season where you're only shooting for .500 anyway?

We've seen DoUPs in recent years, of course. The Kevin Brown trade might qualify. Much as I hate to say it, the Mo Vaughn deal would qualify. Albert Belle in Baltimore would count. And yes, the notorious Bagwell for Andersen would qualify. As would the Matt Young signing. But let's save the white-hot rhetoric for these catastrophic errors in judgment, okay?


This amused me to no end, and since I'm incapable of turning down the volume of my hyperbole, I've decided I'm going to use "DoUPs" on a regular basis to describe trades and signings I disagree with.

However the question still remains, "What are the worst DoUPs of all time?" How about the worst Mets DoUP? The worst Red Sox DoUP? Who is the DoUPiest GM or owner? I'd like to write a bit more about this but it's going to have to wait until after Thanksgiving. Have a great Turkey Day everyone!

7 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worst Mets DoUPs:

Nolan Ryan, Don Rose, Francisco Estrada and Leroy Stanton to the Angels for Jim Fregosi

Lenny Dykstra & Roger McDowell to the Phillies for Juan Samuel

Mookie Wilson to the Blue Jays for Jeff Musselman & Mike Brady

Jason Isringhausen and Greg McMichael to the A's for Billy-freakin'-Taylor!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, one more:

Rico Brogna to the Phillies for Ricardo Jordan and Toby Borland, whom I don't ever recall seeing throw a strike while in a Mets uniform.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Losing Tom Seaver - twice!

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting Roberto "i yust want to play my gane" Alomar. Whatever we gave up was too mucho!

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about Rusty Staub for Mickey Lolich? Amos Otis (and Bob Johnson) for Joe Foy? What about 88 quadrillion dollars for Vince Coleman?

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wasn't old enough to remember the Tom Seaver trade (although many in my family would consider that the ultimate DoUP) but I would certainly consider Vince Coleman as one of the largest Met DoUPs of all time. he actually made me ashamed to be a Mets fan.

It will be interesting to see if Scott Kazmir becomes an ultimate DoUP or not as well.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Alan Somebody, the therapist who helped Strawberry and Gooden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home