Saturday, November 06, 2004

Senor November?

David Ortiz continues to amaze.

I'm biased, so I'm throwing this out to a more neutral audience. When was the last time a team had a right-left combination in the heart of the order like Ramirez/Ortiz in 2004? Pujols/Rolen in St. Louis is righty/righty. Ditto Canseco/McGwire in the late eighties. Bonds/Kent in 2000 wasn't nearly as balanced as the Dominican Duo; you'd walk Bonds to get to Kent every time. Maybe Ramirez/Thome for the '99 Indians, although that was before Thome was THOME.

Other candidates?

3 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I dunno, Walker/Pujols kinda frightens the bejeezus out of me. Do switch hitters count?

The Bonds/Bonilla tandem on those late eighties/early nineties Pirates teams always killed the Mets too. That's about as far as my simple brain can take me this evening. :)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Bonds and Bonilla isn't a bad suggestion, though I'd have to look them up to see how productive they really were.

It's too early to tell on Walker/Pujols, I think. They would be without a doubt the scariest if they were both in their primes. Since Walker's as old as he is, though, I'm inclined to take a "wait and see" approach.

Kevin Mitchell and Will Clark were pretty devastating for one year in '89, once you adjust for a pre-power inflation context.

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us look to the Mile High city for such formidable lefty/righty tandems as Todd Helton/Preston Wilson in '03 and Larry Walker/Andres Gallaraga in the mid-90's. Berkman and Bagwell in '01 and '02 stack up nicely as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home